The entire exam is worth 100 points.
1. Find a server that allows you to download software which converts rtf files (rich text format) to html format.
2. Find a tutorial on the programming language Java.
3. Find a page that collects World Wide Web (WWW) and other Internet resources and categorizes them using the Library of Congress Classification Scheme.
4. Use the UCS Knowledge Base to find information on the safety of anonymous ftp.
5. Find a copy of the Communications Decency Act.
6. Find a directory of listserv, USENet newsgroups, and other discussion lists.
15 points: essay content
15 points: graphics
10 points: style (boldface, italics, footer, etc.) elements
1. Assume you are in your home directory on ezinfo. What command copies a file named dummy.txt that is located in /usr to the directory /tmp/dummyfiles? What command then renames the file to genius.txt?
2. Which commands are needed to unpack and unzip a file "zippy.tar.gz"? Which command is needed to show the content of the directory in which the files were unzipped?
3. What command changes the permission of a file called "permit.txt" so that all users (in the same group and others) can write to and read the file?
4. In the man pages find the option for the tar command that allows to list the files in a filename.tar file without unpacking the file.
5. Assume you are in your home directory on ezinfo. Which commands copy a file dummy.txt that is located in /usr on hamlet.ucs.indiana.edu to the directory /tmp/dummyfiles on ezinfo. What changes have to be made if the file genius.bin is to be copied?