Instructions for database coursework demonstrations
The demonstrations will start in Week 10 and continue in Week 11.
Monday practical: we should be able to finish all demonstrations in Week 10.
Wednesday practical: we will start with demonstrations in Cluster 1 with PC number
1 and work our way up through Cluster 1, 2 and 3.
If you want to demonstrate in Week 10, please arrive on time and get a
seat in Cluster 1, 2 or 3.
To prepare for the demonstration:
Keep the windows open until a lecturer has checked your results.
While you are waiting you should use the time to work through the
On-line Quiz or the
optional relational algebra exercises on the module website
as a preparation for the exam.
- Log into the Active SQL Tutorial System.
- Prepare your Unix drive and database:
- Map your Unix drive (i.e. your I-drive).
- SSH to DCS.
- Log in and start MySQL. Choose (use) your database.
- Execute your SQL file.
- Type the following commands (replace public_relations
with the name of your public relations table)
- Show create table public_relations
- Describe public_relations
- Select * from public_relations