SET08104 Database Systems

Lecturers: Dr. Uta Priss, Dr. John Old


On-line SQL

Study materials:
G. Russell's Online Notes
Tutorial Notes
Table of Contents Student Notes
Coursework FAQ Coursework Solutions
Resit Coursework
Resit support
Exam preparation:
Past papers
Revision Questions
SQL Quick Reference
Normalisation Overview
ER diagram for jobs database

Teaching Plan

Week NoLecture ALecture BPractical Revision
02 Introduction SQL1 On-line SQL  
03 AND, OR and NOT
(printable copy)
puzzle (with solution),
SQL2 Continue with On-line SQL  
04 ER1 SQL3 Continue with On-line SQL Quiz1 Answers
05 ER2 SQL4 Continue with On-line SQL  
06 ER3 Normalisation1 MySQL practical Quiz2 Answers
07 ER4 , Tutorial 1 Normalisation2 On-line ER practical  
08 Admin and Security Normalisation Review On-line Normalisation practical  
09 SQL Extra Relational Algebra 1 Time for coursework  
10 Embedded SQL Relational Algebra 2, Equivalence Coursework demonstrations
11 Transactions, Concurrency DBMS Implementation Coursework demonstrations
12 Recovery, example DB visualisation no practical
13 Revision, Possible exam questions will be discussed. no practical

If you want to install the jobs database on your own computer:

MySQL version of the Jobs database.

Assessment Information

The exam counts for 60% of the final mark. The coursework counts for the other 40% of the final mark.

To pass the module, students need to achieve an overall mark of 40% and at least 30% in the exam and in the coursework. (For example, a student could pass with 46% in the exam, 30% in the coursework. Another student could pass with 30% in the exam, 55% in the coursework).

Resit students need to achieve 40% in any component that they are resitting.


When is the Exam: see the link on the Student Portal.

The exam consists of 40 multiple choice questions, each question having 5 options. No negative marking is used.

Past papers are available at the past papers webpage. (Several of the 2002 exams contain the solutions at the end.)

Sample solutions to multiple choice questions (similar to the ones in the exam) can be found in the on-line multiple choice quiz.